Speakers for Schools is a education/social mobility UK charityMay 30, 2023
Speakers for Schools is a education/social mobility UK charity.
Speakers for Schools (SfS) is a UK-wide charity that was founded in 2010 by ITV’s Political Editor Robert Peston, and supported by the Law Family Charitable Foundation, with a mission to level the playing field for young people. It aims to end educational inequality by giving young people access to the same networks as the top fee-paying schools in the UK through inspirational talks and work experience opportunities.
Our 3 main areas are all fully funded and include:
- Inspiration – series of inspirational talks by industry leaders (Virtual broadcast library or in person events)
- Enrichment activities – National Teen Book Club (online)
- Engagement – series of work experience opportunities available either online via google classroom or in person
- Discovery Workshops (short 1-2 hour taster sessions – group bookings made by teachers)
- Insight Days (1/2 day or full day taster placements – individual student application approved by teacher within school)
- 3-5 day placements (individual student application approved by teacher within school)
The charity has gone through rapid growth over the past three years with NI being the last region to be added to the national team in March 2021. This academic year, S4S have secured placements for over 66,000 young people across the UK with a wide range of industry leading employers. The NI team is committed to building relationships with local businesses to increase the accessibility of quality work experiences for young people. Our NI Engagement Team locally work with employers to develop bespoke virtual and in person work experience opportunities for groups of students, aged 14-19 from across NI. By the end of June 2023, we have secured local placements for over 7000 young people which are in addition to the UK wide virtual opportunities available.
For more information please visit: www.speakersforschools.org