Public Health Agency commission funding to the four Community Networks in the Northern Locality to host the specific and specialised role of local Suicide Prevention Development Officers.
This role is to support Community Development within the Northern Area in line with key strategic drivers such as Protect Life 2, and complimentary to the objectives of the Community Networks who are Causeway Rural & Urban Network, Cookstown & Western Shores Area Network, Northern Area Community Network and Impact Network NI.
There are three community based, Suicide Prevention Development Officers in the Northern Locality, fulfilling this significant role since 2009.
Our Overarching Aim:
“…to increase community awareness and involvement in mental & emotional well-being, suicide prevention, bereaved by suicide support and self-harm initiatives”.
Working across the Northern Locality we provide support to groups and develop initiatives which promote mental and emotional wellbeing and tackle the determinants of suicide.
- Building capacity within local communities to address suicide prevention
- Supporting groups to apply for community based promoting mental health & suicide prevention small grants
- Encourage help seeking behaviours
- Promote and support key projects and services delivery by local providers
- SPDO’s give priority support to areas of higher need & to vulnerable population groups who may be at higher risk of suicide